Monday, March 4, 2013

Inquiring Minds Want to Know (I know you do!)

So, I thought I'd answer the burning question going through all of your minds...why don't I drive.

Yep...I'm 35 and never had a license...not for a lack of trying! I even took the road test when I was 22..I didn't pass it because I ended up backing up onto grass. Epic fail.

Ok, so...as some of you may know, I have Tourette Syndrome. For those who aren't too familiar with that, it's not just about screaming out expletives. Actually that happens to a very small percentage of Tourette's folks. Tourette's causes involuntary movements and sounds. I have a WHOLE lot of involuntary movements, including this weird eye/face scrunching thing I do (it sounds weird but it's kind of adorable, trust me) which can cause my eyes to be closed for like, 15 seconds at a time. 15 seconds doesn't sound like a very long time, but if you sit still with your eyes closed for 15 seconds you'll realize it's a REALLY long time to have your eyes closed while operating a vehicle. 

Now, that being said, it has nothing to do with me not driving. 

When I was 16 and had my learners permit I got into a huge accident (my bad!) and that was enough to scare the heck out of me. My dad was with me at the time, and urged me to drive home from the accident, and  I refused. Looking back on it, it probably would have been a good idea, but I didn't and everything's for a reason. 

So, if I'm asked if I don't drive because of my Tourette's I will tell you yes, absolutely, without a doubt. For a couple of  reasons (a) it's not exactly a lie, there is *some* truth to it, the eye scrunching/neck thrashing/arm flailing thing does make me nervous although under the right circumstances I probably could suppress the tics for as long as needed (b) it's easy, and an answer that people are happy to accept. It's MUCH easier than trying to explain and defend a phobia.

As it stands, I am happy to leave the driving to the professionals. Public transportation, cabs, feet, trains, and bumming rides with friends is totally ok with me. (And honestly, the cost involved with owning a car?!?!?!!.....that's a whole other story, don't even get me started on that.....)

I have a big adventure planned coming up in the next couple of weeks... looking forward to sharing with you guys!!! Stay tuned!

Peace, love and big cups of java!
Bridget the Happy Bus Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment